This trend following system was designed by Dennis Gartman and Bill Eckhart, and relies on breakouts of historical highs and lows to take and close trades: it is the complete opposite to the “buy low and sell high” approach. This trend following system was taught to a group of average and normal individuals, and almost everyone turned into a profitable trader.
The main rule is “Trade an N-day breakout and take profits when an M-day high or low is breached (N must me above M)”. Examples:
- Buy a 10-day breakout and close the trade when price action reaches a 5-day low.
- Go short a 20-day breakout and close the trade when price action reaches a 10-day high.
In this indicator, the red and blue lines are the trading lines, and the dotted line is the exit line. Original system is:
- Go long when the trading line turns blue
- Go short when the trading line turns red
- Exit long positions when the price touches the exit line
- Exit short positions when the price touches the exit line
Recommended initial stop-loss is ATR * 2 from the opening price. Default system parameters were 20,10 and 55,20.
I have, however, altered a little bit the algorithm to get early entry signals and avoid random trend swings in highly volatile conditions. To do so, this indicator will only show a trend change when a bar actually closes above or below the current trendline -instead of just touching it like a normal stop-loss order would do-. The downside is that you can only detect trend changes when the last bar has already closed. Just in case, the strict version is also available.
This indicator should be used together with my other indicator: The classic Turtle Trading Indicator, to represent the same period or the failsafe trading system and get further signals if you have been stopped out. Both indicators implement trading alerts, enable or disable them at will depending on your trading setup.
MT4 Indicator Download – Instructions
[post-title] is a Metatrader 4 (MT4) indicator and the essence of the forex indicator is to transform the accumulated history data.
[post-title] provides for an opportunity to detect various peculiarities and patterns in price dynamics which are invisible to the naked eye.
Based on this information, traders can assume further price movement and adjust their strategy accordingly.
How to install [post-title].mq4?
- Download [post-title].mq4
- Copy [post-title].mq4 to your Metatrader Directory / experts / indicators /
- Start or restart your Metatrader Client
- Select Chart and Timeframe where you want to test your indicator
- Search “Custom Indicators” in your Navigator mostly left in your Metatrader Client
- Right click on [post-title].mq4
- Attach to a chart
- Modify settings or press ok
- Indicator [post-title].mq4 is available on your Chart
How to remove [post-title].mq4 from your Metatrader 4 Chart?
- Select the Chart where is the Indicator running in your Metatrader Client
- Right click into the Chart
- “Indicators list”
- Select the Indicator and delete
MT4 Indicators Download below: